Above is a pic of Lt. Colonel James Galbraith, Regimental Colour in hand, alongside Bobbie the regimental dog and some of the other "Last Eleven" survivors of the 66th (Berkshire) Regiment, making their last stand in one of the walled gardens just South of Khig village, a few miles West of the Afghan town of Maiwand.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

MAIWAND DAY @THE MUZEO of Anaheim

On Sunday December 18th, 2011, in conjunction with the ST. CRISPIN'S IRREGULARS gaming club, I will be bringing MAIWAND DAY down to the Kabel Gallery at the MUZEO museum in Anaheim, California.



This is being done in connection with an exhibit of Victorian British artwork, titled "The Queen's Gallery."


The doors open at 10:00am and close at 5:00pm and I expect to be there there all day. I'm going to try to set up the terrain boards and troops the night before, but that may not be possible, so if you are planning to attend, expect me to be setting up the table for at least an hour, until 11:00, at which point the game will kick off.

There is room for 8 Afghan and 3 British players, so any colonial-minded wargamers within reach of Southern California are heartily invited to attend. I know a few members of the St. Crispin's club will be volunteering their time to help me out -- for which I thank them in advance -- and hopefully they'll be able to play as well.

The main idea behind displaying and playing the game at the museum is to reach non-wargamers, giving them a surprise opportunity to enjoy the hobby, and possibly end up with a few new recruits to miniature wargaming. Since my game is so big, I doubt there will be 11 casual museum-goers who all want to participate at the same time -- and certainly not for the entire 6 hours -- so I'm confident I'll be able to give any gamers who show up to play, the opportunity to do so, probably for as long as they like.

Needless to say, there is an ENTIRE MUSEUM connected to the space where we'll be playing the game, so there will be a lot of other very cool things to see and do while visiting the Muzeo!

I look forward to meeting AT LEAST ONE PERSON AT THE EVENT who learned about it here on my blog. If you are that person, please let me know on the day!

7 comments:

  1. Hey, Dan!

    It's not that far from Denver, is it? You didn't play the game at New Orleans, so this could be your chance! ...but if you can't make it, I'll understand. Have you started painting up some colonial figures for TSATF yet...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ethan, I game with Harmon's group (the Saint Crispin's Irregulars. I plan on dropping by this Sunday (18 Dec) to participate in your Maiwand battle. I too am a fan of Rudyard Kipling - especially the poem "IF."

    I've promoted your Sunday event on my facebook fan page link is: www.battlebook.com

    rj

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks very much, rj! Just checked out the BattleBook page, and it is very cool! Look forward to meeting you at the Muzeo this weekend!

    PS Thanks for the promotion!
    PPS "IF" is a great poem. The Valedictorian at my high school in Brooklyn, New York, finished her graduation speech by reciting it, back in 1982.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I was there, if not for long, and it was great! I think we spoke for a while.

    You inspired all my recent questions on TMP (aka Flight Sergeant Reggie). Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

    My own website is:

    www.horse-and-musket.com

    Michael Davis
    Laguna Niguel, CA

    May I get your email please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sent you an email, Michael. Thanks for coming to the Muzeo, and very glad to hear you enjoyed it, if only for a short time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. NCERT provides various study resources to the students studying in different classes. Going through these study resources without fail helps the students in NCERT Syllabus for 7th Class understanding the details of the course, enabling them to be prepared throughout the academic year. Exam preparation, without a doubt, is much more convenient with these NCERT resources

    ReplyDelete