Above is a pic of Lt. Colonel James Galbraith, Regimental Colour in hand, alongside Bobbie the regimental dog and some of the other "Last Eleven" survivors of the 66th (Berkshire) Regiment, making their last stand in one of the walled gardens just South of Khig village, a few miles West of the Afghan town of Maiwand.

Monday, July 26, 2021

The Outpost at Chakdara

FROM: Sgt. Oliver Crood, 66th Berkshires, Acting Commander Chakdara Outpost

TO:     Higher Echelons Concerned

RE:     Status Report

DATE: July 17, 1890

I am sad to report Lt. Fitzroy's sufferings continue unabated.  He remains laid up, but the men and I are trying our best to keep him from expiring.  I have assigned Corporal Golightly, who prior to an attempted desertion during his first enlistment served as a stretcher-bearer with the Hospital Corps, to take the lead in caring for him, which he has done despite suffering from a severe tooth abscess himself.  When it rains it pours, even in this dry dusty mercilessly hot country.

Around midday today something odd happened that I had not seen during my prior six months manning this post: a shepherd drove his flock across the bridge.  It is my understanding that as a rule the locals have avoided using this bridge since our outpost was stood up.  But this shepherd drove on by.  Along the way his dog moved precipitously towards us, and Private Hudson -- who hates all animals -- raised his rifle and nearly shot it dead.  Luckily I was able to prevent him from firing, as trained herding dogs are reckoned to be worth their weight in gold or gunpowder hereabouts.  The shepherd called himself Azeem & professed true devotion to TSATF, but I sent him on his way in no uncertain terms nonetheless.  I then was much surprised at his amiable demeanor.  In fact he walked off most cheerfully, professing endless blessings upon us and our sickly young headman (how the bloody hell did he know about that?!), which I confess has left me with a sense of dire dread and foreboding -- a grand term I once heard from our Chaplain, when it became known that the Colonel-in-Chief of the regiment was keeping a second wife and family in Mysore.  I don't know what tomorrow will bring, but I have given orders for the entire garrison to stand to tonight, as I don't want us caught with our trousers down.  Pray for us & we shall do the same for our subaltern.

Yours Truly,

Sgt. O. Crood Regt. # 201


THE OUTPOST AT CHAKDARA


Lt. Fitzroy attended to by Corporal Golightly



The Bridge over the Panjkora River (a tributary of the Great River Swat)


The coming of the Sheep



Shepherd Azeem & his hound, Kuch





A conflagration averted



Pvt. Hudson reprimanded 


No sleep for the weary at Chakdara



NOTE:

1.    The Outpost was built by Bob Ridenhour for use in the 140th Anniversary Battle of Kandahar aka: Battle of Baba Wali game we played last August.  It's a gift that keeps on giving -- THANKS AGAIN, BOB!

2.    This entire post is from an online NWF campaign being conducted over on the Lead Adventure Forum, called "NEVER TRUST ANYONE ON THE FRONTIER," which I recently joined.

If you're interested in learning more, here's a LINK to the first page of the campaign thread...


...and here's a LINK to the tenth page, which is where the above photos & text come into play...












6 comments:

  1. A neat little model with much gaming potential.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for your comment, A J! Reading it made me realize I needed to give proper credit to friend Bob, who built it!

      Delete
  2. The status report builds a picture in your minds eye and then your photos bring it all to life. Superb figures and terrain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat, always great to hear from you here! I find your own "Silver Whistle" blog consistently inspiring and have been enjoying your foray into "Proxy Napoleonics"!

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous outpost and crew!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to leave your comment, Iain! It's much appreciated by myself AND the outpost crew -- who I'm sorry to say are presently at elevated risk of attack...

      Delete